Bruce D. Nichols BSc, MD, FRCSC, FACS
President of The Lasik Centre of London
Dr. Bruce Nichols is co-founder and past Medical Director of Laser Vision London. He is President of The Lasik Centre of London which is the parent corporation of LVL. As a leader internationally in Advanced Refractive Cataract Surgery, Laser Refractive Surgery and Corneal Surgery, Dr. Nichols is committed to the continuing success of Laser Vision London. He earned his Doctor of Medicine from McMaster University in 1980 after completion of an Honors Biology Degree in Microbiology at the University of Waterloo. He completed his residency in Ophthalmology at the University of Saskatchewan after a two-year residency in Family Medicine at Western University. Dr. Nichols trained with a world renowned leader in LASIK surgery undertaking a Fellowship in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis Minnesota. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Nichols’ long record of experience speaks for itself. Dr. Nichols has performed more than 30,000 refractive surgery procedures spanning a period of over three decades. He was the first Eye Surgeon in London to preform Laser Cataract Surgery and the first to utilize laser crosslinking techniques for treating corneal disease. Dr. Nichols has experience on a wide variety of advanced laser technologies including the WaveLight EX-500, iFS Intralase, Catalys Femtosecond Laser, VISX, Bausch and Lomb Technolas, Autonomous LADAR Vision and Sunrise platforms. Dr. Nichols has shared his extensive experience with surgeons from around the world as a well-known invited guest speaker at national and international scientific meetings, such as The Canadian Ophthalmological Society (COS), The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), and The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS).
Dr. Nichols is Professor Emeritus of Ophthalmology at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University in London Ontario, Ivey Eye Institute of Ophthalmology, St. Joseph's Health Center in London. During his time as President of The Canadian Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society, Dr. Nichols organized two National meetings highlighting Innovation in Refractive Laser Surgery and research. He is a member The International Society of Refractive Surgery and the Cornea Society. Dr. Nichols remains an active teacher in the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, a member of the Canadian Ophthalmological Society, and a Life Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
In 2019, Dr. Nichols was honoured to receive the American Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Achievement Award and is one of only a few Canadians to achieve this status. This award is for his teaching, research and dedication to the society. Dr. Nichols is a recipient of the E.A. Baker Fellowship Award and is a Melvin Jones Fellow of Lion's Clubs International. He is also a Canadian National Research Council Scholar. Dr. Nichols has given more than 180 scientific presentations to surgeons and Eye Doctors at conferences around the world. He has over 30 publications including articles in peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, and monographs. Dr. Nichols has mentored over 70 residents during their residency program at Western.
Dr. Nichols has dedicated his career to achieving excellence through innovation and detail. In fact, one of his favorite sayings is “It’s all in the details”. Dr. Nichols retired from clinical practice in 2022 yet remains active in his administrative role to ensure the delivery of state-of-the -art care to all patients at Laser Vision London. .
Meet Dr. Bruce Nichols
President, The Lasik Centre of London
Ten Things to Know About Dr. Nichols
- Dr. Nichols is an internationally recognized leader in Laser Refractive Eye Surgery, Advanced Refractive Cataract Surgery, and medical and surgical Corneal disease.
- Dr. Nichols is a highly experienced eye surgeon having performed over 30,000 refractive surgery procedures including Lasik, PRK, Refractive Lens exchange, Implantable contact lenses, Laser Astigmatism surgery and Premium Cataract surgery.
- Dr. Nichols was instrumental in bringing Laser Cataract Surgery to London and was the first Eye Surgeon to perform this technique in this area of Ontario.
- Dr. Nichols completed a Fellowship in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis MN, a center of excellence in the sub-specialty.
- Dr. Nichols is Professor Emeritus of Ophthalmology at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University in London Ontario and previous faculty member at The Ivey Eye Institute of Ophthalmology, St. Joseph's Health Care in London, in the specialty of Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Dr. Nichols was Head of the Cornea and External Disease Unit at the Ivey Institute for over 15 years.
- Dr Nichols is well known as an invited guest speaker and instructor at national and international Ophthalmology conferences, including the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and the Canadian Ophthalmological Society.
- Dr. Nichols has given more than 180 scientific presentations to Surgeons and Eye Doctors at conferences around the world. He has over 30 publications including articles in peer-reviewed journals and book chapters.
- In 2019, Dr. Nichols received the American Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Achievement Award for teaching, research and dedication to the society. Only a few Canadians have ever achieved this honour.
- Dr. Nichols is a Canadian Research Council Scholar, and E.A. Baker Fellow, and has been awarded the Melvin Jones Fellowship for his long standing work with the Lion’s Sight Conservation Foundation.
- Dr. Nichols loves travel and the great outdoors. He has summited mountains in Nepal, Tanzania, and Peru as well as in Canada the US. He is an Instrument rated private pilot, a certified open water scuba diver, and he hikes and kayaks with his wife around the Bruce Peninsula as often as he can.