TEN THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT YOUR SURGEON
- Dr. Tong’s background is in microbiology and immunology. She worked at infectious disease clinics in Vancouver’s Downtown East Side and in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Dr. Tong previously worked for the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery in Europe as an eye bank technician, enucleator, and researcher. .
- Dr. Tong completed her ophthalmology residency at the University of Alberta and her fellowship in adult and pediatric cornea and anterior segment at the University of Montreal.
- Dr. Tong is a staff consultant at the Ivey Eye Institute where she provides medical and surgical cornea services, including cornea transplantation.
- Dr. Tong is an Associate Professor at Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry at Western University.
- Dr. Tong has contributed to over 30 unique scientific publications and 4 textbooks.
- Dr. Tong has served as an invited speaker at over 50 conferences and teaching events.
- Dr. Tong’s research work and collaborations have led to novel new treatments for corneal disease.
- Dr. Tong has a particular interest in International Ophthalmology, having provided surgical eye care in Mongolia, India, and Cameroon.
- Dr. Tong has provided ophthalmologic eye care in 5 Canadian provinces and territories, including Northern communities such as Yellowknife and Inuvik.